Wednesday, June 03, 2020

Marion County Strategy - Individual responsibility 5/27/2020 Memo and flyer.

Information regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19) from the Marion County Health Department.

County offices are open with some restrictions.  Public access is limited to the South entrance.  Health/travel screening questions will be required prior to admittance.  Wearing a mask is highly encouraged during any face to face meeting, along with proper social distancing.  Driver's License services will not be offered at this time.  The Department on Aging and the Planning & Zoning Office are open by appointment only.  In person attendance at the County Commission meetings will not be allowed at this time. 
Thank you for your patience and cooperation as we work to safely transition back to full public access over time.  The safety of our citizens and employees is of paramount importance.  County staff is available to answer your questions by phone or email.  Please don't hesitate to contact us. 

Treasurer:  620.382.2180
Vehicle Dept:
County Clerk:  620.382.2185
Register of Deeds:  620.382.2151
County Attorney:  620.382.2243
District Court:  620.382.2104
Appraiser:  620.382.3715
Mapping:  620.382.3778
Road & Bridge:  620.382.3761

PUBLIC ATTENDANCE OF COUNTY COMMISSION MEETINGS BY TELECOMMUNICATION ONLY.  In-person attendance at the County Commission meetings is not allowed at this time due to mass gathering restrictions.  We encourage attendance by telecommunication which also allows public interaction.
To join the County Commission meetings from your computer, tablet or smartphone, go to or by phone dial 1-866-899-4679.  The access code is 639-484-901#.

Please contact individual County offices directly for any questions or assistance.


Q. How much will it cost to register my vehicle?


  • Title Fees...$10.00
  • Transfer Fees...$6.50
  • Registration:

Autos less than 4500 lbs...$35.00
Autos over 4500 lbs...$45.00
12M Trucks...$45.00


  • Motorbikes $16.00
  • Trailers:

2000 – 8000...$20.00
8001 – 1200...$30.00
12001 and over...$40.00

a. If the weight of the trailer and the load combined is less than 2,000 pounds, registration is optional. If a farm trailer hauling the farmer's own product has a load of less than 6,000 pounds, registration is optional. For fees on trucks with gross weight of over 16,000 pounds, call the County Treasurer's Office.

b. Property tax is paid at the time of registration/title application and is determined in the County Treasurer's Office. The exceptions are heavy trucks, trailers, and mopeds, whose taxes are determined by the County Appraiser's Office.

c. Reflectorized plate fee is $0.50.

d. Sales tax will be collected in the tag office if the vehicle is bought from an individual or purchased out of state. The sales tax rate is 7.05% in the city of Marion, and 7.03% in the city of Hillsboro. The rest of the county is 6.3%. The sales tax percentage will be figured either on the place of purchase, or the place of the buyers residence, whichever is higher. If purchasing from a dealer that has a lower sales tax rate than where the purchase lives, the purchaser will pay the difference is sales tax when purchasing tags. (Example: a city of Marion resident purchases a car from a Hillsboro car dealer…They will pay 6.8%to the dealer, and will pay .02% of the purchase price in the tag office when they buy tags…The difference between Marion’s 7.05% and Hillsboro’s 7.03%)

e. The fee to transfer a tag is $16.50 plus the difference in the property tax.

Q. What do I need to know about transferring a tag from one vehicle to another?

A. The fee to transfer is $14.50 plus the difference in the property tax. The names on the two titles must be the same. If the old tag is expired, it can only be transferred if it is a personalized tag. If this is your renewal month, your fees will be the same as a new tag minus the $0.50 plate fee. The old vehicle must be sold or traded in, even if it is not running. As long as the title is still in your name, the plate must stay with it.

Q. I'm moving to Kansas from another state; how do I register my vehicle?

A. If you have the title, you need to bring in the title, the vehicle inspection, and the proof of insurance. The person who is named on the title is the only person who can register the vehicle. If two names appear on the title with and/or between the names, only one person has to come in. If two names are on the title with and between them, both persons must come in. All vehicles coming from out of state must have a VIN inspection done. Inspections are done Monday-Friday from 8:30 am to 5 pm (excluding 12:30-1:30 pm) at the Marion City Office, 208 E. Santa Fe in Marion, Kansas. The cost is $20.00 in cash. (Note: this can be done at any Highway Patrol office)

If you do not have the title because the lienholder of that state keeps it until the vehicle is paid for, you will need to call that lienholder and have a copy of the title faxed to the Marion County Treasurer's Office (FAX# 620-382-2160). With your faxed copy, you will then be able to get your vehicle inspected by the Marion City Office. Sometimes the state you're coming from will request something in writing before releasing a copy of the title. In that case we can register your vehicle with a copy of the out-of-state registration. The State will then request the title from the lienholder and send you a copy to take along for the VIN inspection. The State will send a self-addressed envelope for your return of the inspection form. Titles are issued when the lien is paid in full.

Q. What papers will I need to title a newly-purchased vehicle?

A. You will need the title or MSO (if it's a new car), signed and notarized over to you, the sales tax receipt or notarized bill of sale, the car's current mileage, and your proof of insurance. When transferring a tag between two cars, you need the current registration or tag number of the old car and the name and address of the person to whom the vehicle was sold.

Q. What are your office hours?

A. The Treasurer's Office is open between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., including lunch hour, Monday through Friday. The office stops doing vehicle business at 4:45 p.m. in order to run reports and balance the day's business.

Q. Where are you located?

A. Tags are purchased in the Marion County Treasurer's on the main floor of the Marion County Courthouse at 200 S. 3rd.

Q. Where can I get my vehicle inspected, and during what hours?

A. All out-of-state title for used vehicles (and Kansas Non-Highway vehicles) require inspection. The fee is $20.00 in CASH ONLY and can be done Monday-Friday from 8:30 am to 5 pm (excluding 12:30-1:30pm) at the Marion City Office at 208 E. Santa Fe. Non-highway titles are inspected by the Highway Patrol.

Q. How can I renew my tags if I didn't get a renewal notice in the mail?

A. Take your registration or tag number and proof of insurance to the Marion County Treasurer's Office, and they will be able to process your renewal.

Q. How can I get a refund, and what forms will I need?

A. Bring in your tag, current owner's registration, Social Security number (for a personal vehicle) or Federal ID# (for business or lease vehicles), and name and address of the person to whom the vehicle was sold. Refunds are calculated from the month they are received.

Q. My tag was stolen. What do I do?

A. You will need to report the plate stolen to the Sheriff's Office (382-3695). Bring the tag number and proof of insurance, and we will replace the tag for $3.00.

Q. How do I get a personalized tag?

A. The price for personalized tags is $44.00, in addition to other fees and personal property taxes. You will also need to fill out a Personalized tag form.

Q. What will happen if I have delinquent taxes?

A. If you have delinquent personal property taxes in ANY county in Kansas, they MUST be paid before vehicles can be tagged.

Q. How can I pay for my tags?

A. Acceptable forms of payment are cash, check, money order, and cashier's check. Credit cards may only be used on-line at

Q. Where can I go to renew my handicapped placard? Where do I mail it?

A. This is done at the Marion Treasurer's Office in the County Courthouse.

Q. Do my tags expire on the first day or the last day of the month?

A. Auto, truck, and motorcycle tags expire on the last day of each month, with the exception of heavy trucks (over 12,000 lbs.) and trailers, which expire Dec. 31 with a grace period until the last day of February.

Q. Why aren't my tags good for a full year?

A. Tag renewals are good for a full year. Tags for vehicles bought new within the year will be good for the period between the purchase date and the expiration date; in some cases this will be for just a partial year. Tags are prorated from the month the title is notarized until the month your tag comes due, which is determined by your last name. See the Tag Schedule table above.

Q. I am a military dependent. Shouldn't I be exempted from property taxes?

A. No. Only the active duty military member is exempt.

Q. Can I get an extension on my thirty-day permit?

A. No. There are no extensions.

Q. My doctor says I'm permanently handicapped. Why do I have to re-certify for handicap privileges?

A. Law requires re-certification every three years for verification of status of the handicapped individual.

Q. Why do I pay taxes on my leased vehicle when I'm in the military?

A. The leased vehicle is in the leasing company name; therefore, it is the legal owner of the vehicle and not exempt.

Q. I am in the military but a Kansas resident. Do I pay taxes on my vehicle?

A. If the military person and the vehicle are stationed in Kansas, the vehicle is exempt. If the military person is a resident of Kansas, but stationed in another state, the vehicle is exempt.

Q. I own businesses in several counties in Kansas. Where do I register my vehicle?

A. The vehicle should be registered in the county where the main business in located.

Q. I am active duty military, but the vehicle is in my wife's name. Do I have to pay taxes on the vehicle?

A. Yes. The service member must be included on the title in order to be exempt.

Q. Do I have to get a Kansas driver's license if I have Kansas plates?

A. Yes

Q. Do I have to register my vehicle if I am going to sell it?

A. Yes. You first have to acquire a title in your name before it can be sold to another individual or business.

Additional Information on vehicle titles and forms available